Vegas Officials Crack Down on Fire Code Violations After Deadly Fires
In December 2109, six people died and 13 others injured in a Las Vegas apartment fire. Roughly 30-35 people were displaced after the fire, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. This incident was dubbed by city officials the "deadliest residential fire in Las Vegas Fire and Rescue's 20-year history," according to KTNV. A fire that occurred at The MGM Grand in 1980 killed more than 80 people.
The fire broke out during the early morning hours at the three-story Alpine Motel Apartments. Emergency responders reported seeing building occupants hanging from windows on the second floor. Some of them jumped out of the windows to escape the fire.
Firefighters reported that the fire occurred in one unit on the first floor and appears to be accidental. There were reportedly no active code complaints against the Alpine Motel Apartments. Investigators surveyed each room throughout the building, however. Several tenants in the building were reportedly without heat before the fire occurred. Many of them had to use stoves and space heaters to stay warm.
City officials notified the Alpine Motel Apartments owner that the building must be fully repaired before anyone can occupy the building. According to the building's co-owner, the Alpine Motel Apartments passed a building code inspection six months prior to the incident. She was also unaware of any heating issues within the building.
"We have code enforcement and the health department come out and everything that needs to be fixed gets fixed in a timely manner,” she told KTNV.
The aftermath of the apartment fire
In the wake of the Alpine Motel Apartments fire, city officials seek to close the gap in the inspection process. The building reportedly had several fire code violations, including lack of smoke detectors and fire alarms. The building also didn't have a fire inspection done in two years.
Deputy Chief of Fire and Rescue Robert Nolan proposed a citywide program to conduct regular inspections of smoke detectors, fire alarms, and exits. These are the proposed requirements:
- Mandatory inspections every five years
- Building owners required to pay a registration fee for each multifamily residential unit
- Property owners who fail to adhere to the regulations could face fines and liens against their buildings
Residential buildings constructed prior to 1993 account for the majority of the city's residential fires. This was before fire sprinklers were mandated. Moreover, older buildings are cited for fire code violations more often than newer buildings.
Hurt in a building fire? Hire an attorney today.
Multifamily residential fires often result in severe burns and lung illness from inhaled fumes. If you sustained an injury, or lost a loved one, in a building fire, we urge you to take legal action.
You may be entitled to a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit if the property owners or managers failed to employ proper safeguards. The Las Vegas attorneys at Lasso Injury Law LLC know how to investigate property-related incidents and get results. Our legal team will work tirelessly to maximize your compensation. Contact us online to find out how we can help.